Castelli is sized against the rider's physical dimensions the size data in the size guide is the rider size, not the garment size. Castelli garment size is optimised for intended function, So for example an Aero Jersey or Speed Suit are designed to be extremely close fitting, using the material stretch to fit the rider's torso. A race jersey laid on top of a non race jersey of the same size may appear 5cm narrower and not as long - this is intentional as the garment fabrics are designed to stretch to accommodate the riders body shape creating a very close aerodynamic race fit. Never measure old kit to get your Castelli size always measure yourself.
Shoe covers are designed to fit snuggly over road racing shoes only (unless otherwise stated). If your shoes are to the upper end of the size designation and have bulky buckles you should consider the next size up.
1. Snug Fitting; On the bike your jersey or jacket fits snuggly. When riding you don't hear or feel any fabric flapping the close fit helps the capillary action of the fabric to draw moisture from the skin helping you feel drier and more comfortable.
2. Rider Positioning; Fit Off the bike your Castelli jersey or jacket might feel tight across the chest and a little short at the front. This is because the jersey is designed to fit the rider in the riding position. On the bike the fit is prefect with no bunching at the waist and no sagging over the chest. Please keep this in mind when trying on new garments.
3. Fabric Engineering; We use fabrics specifically engineered to wick moisture from the skin or between fabrics, We have created a apparel range that starts with wicking base layers passes through jerseys and onto jackets and shell fabrics. Every element is designed to optimize its specific application - wicking, cooling, thermo regulation, breathability and protection. In order for this to work the fit has to be snug (but never tight)
4. Aerodynamics; The other important aspect of close fitting garments is the aerodynamic advantage they provide. We work closely with professional riders from the Cannondale Team and in wind tunnels to optimise the fit, (again in the important riding position) sleeves are articulated forward to eliminate wrinkles and provide maximum body contact. As an example of our obsession we created the Gabba range of products based around the fit of a race jersey Gabba fits snuggly but provides ultimate weather protection its a key race piece for poor weather conditions allowing athletes to gain an aero advantage over rivals in rain capes.
5. Bib-short Fit; Bib-shorts fit is just as important as a jersey in providing performance - enhancing features such as aerodynamics and muscle support, as well as protecting your bottom from hours spent in the saddle. Bib-shorts should fit tightly enough to support critical leg muscles through compression without inhibiting movement and constricting blood flow. Using a combination of fabrics allows us to fine tune each material's characteristics to optimize fit and performance.
For more details on fitting please visit our full FITTING GUIDE